Thursday, October 4, 2012

DO NOT CALL YOURSELF NAMES... JERK

Bipolar disorder, along with any other illness, has a dumpster filled with jokes about the condition. It's good to laugh at ourselves sometimes. That is why we, along with the gloominess, share funny stories & pictures on our web sites and Facebook pages. BUT more people need to realize where the line between comical and offensive is.

These photos were found on a bipolar support page. I have no doubt there was no intent to offend, but I find them insulting and ignorant. "I don't need drugs, I'm bipolar." Right. Because all of us dig riding invisible bikes in our underpants. Yes. And like Bugs Bunny says, we're all Crazy, wacko, insane, lunatics. I don't know any bipolar person who thinks it's funny to be called any of those things.

I don't know. It confuses me when a bipolar support group starts posting jokes that point out the stigmas we're all trying so hard to defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment